Gosh, what a difference 4 months and a lil love makes! And to think that I wasn't sure if I could fill the entire space...sheesh. I've learned many a lesson thus far and I still have a good part of the growing season left.
Things I've learned lately:
I'm hoping to get both a pear and apple tree planted this fall along the fence line. I dearly miss having fresh apples like we did back in the day. Nothing was better than those tart apples from the yard! And once those trees get a bit bigger, they will give us a bit of extra privacy from the neighbors.
- Birds love peas. Birds eat peas no matter how big or small. Peas get annoyingly netted for life.
- Weeding for 5-10 minutes per night is better than taking up half your Saturday to do it.
- Weekly visits to the farmer's market are only necessary for fruit now. Yay!!!
- Squash trading with co-workers rule! (I can't believe that just came outta my mouth - who am I?)
- You actually need to water your compost pile too.
I'd also like to try my hand at a winter garden but this year isn't the year my friends. With a wedding quickly looming, I know I'm just not going to have the bandwidth for that. BUT, I've been reading up on it and will be fully educated and ready to go come the summer of 2015.
How's your summer gardening coming along??
|Early March of 2014|
|Mid-July of 2014|