After my weekend in the foodie capital of the Northwest, I realized that I'd always wanted to see how I matched up with the Omnivore's Hundred. So here it goes....
From the Omnivore's Hundred: Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food – but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognise everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers.
Here’s what I want you to do:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Italic any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/ linking to your results.
The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:
1. Venison - probably way too many times
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile - courtsey of Montage of Portland!
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue - everyone's been to the Melting Pot in Seattle at least once in their lives....
10. Baba ghanoush - thanks to Leah's Catering, yum.
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart - from NYC natch.
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes - one of my favorite summer time foods!
22. Fresh wild berries - picked by yours truly
23. Foie gras - no thanks.
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut- not sure why not....next time I'm at a hot dog place, this is gonna go on there
35. Root beer float
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu - it's that deadly?
47. Chicken tikka masala
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine - need to get on this one ASAP
60. Carob chips
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
79. Lapsang souchong
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare - killed it myself - do I get extra points for that?
90. Criollo chocolate
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta - just made some on Monday night
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
Man, 39 out of 100 isn't that good and I've always considering myself an adventurous eater. Looks like I've got some work to do....